Thursday, July 23, 2009

Traveling In Oregon: A Trip up Highway 58

Ah Summer. The hubby and I finally made a trip to the cabin just the two of us. Sweet blessed silence for a weekend. Just me, him, and the mosquito's. It was great. It was 94 degrees when we left the valley, with a two hour road trip to Eastern Oregon, and no air conditioning. I was marveling how green everything still is. It has been a particularly wet summer, with the temperatures just finally seeming to scream July. I've driven highway 58 more times than I can count, and know all the places where I wish I could pull over and take pictures. Most places there isn't any place safe to do so, and the places where there are pull-outs get zoomed by without a glance from Mr. I want to get from point A to point B as soon as possible. Me, I like the drive, and in my heat induced semi-coma, I thought hey! I wonder if you could use the sports mode on the digital camera and actually take some pics while we're driving 65mph. It's really hard to focus on anything when your not standing still, but whaddya know! Some of them actually turned out. Now I wish I had taken more. Guess I'll save that for another trip. (All of these are taken after a town called Oakridge.) So here we are...A few pictures of Oregon, taken from a 94 ford ranger driving east on Highway 58, up and over the Willamette Pass.














































The Tunnel. This means we're almost to the top of the pass.
















Right after the tunnel.
The sign says "Salt Creek Falls." I wasn't quick enough to get a pic of the Falls.
Maybe next trip!
















Diamond Peak. The mountain usually has snow on it year round.
















I was actually able to get out of the truck here.
This is a pond about a mile from the cabin.
































Look at all those bugs on the windshield! I only put this one in because my gawd, look how BLUE the sky is.

No comments: