Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Sometimes I Hate Technology

Do you ever have days like these?
My laptop computer had been running at a snails pace, so I knew after 2-1/2 years of clutter, it was time to reinstall windows. I had diligently backed up everything that was important onto my jump drive, except my pictures (not enough room) and my food blogs. (not enough room) Yes! I am going to be running a recipe blog here when I have the time. I'm so excited!
Yes, anyways. I also Just in Case..backed up everything including my pictures and food blogs onto the desk top computer for safe keeping.
And then.
Windows is reinstalled. Sort of. A week later, after much hair pulling and cursing, I'm ready to put all my important stuff back onto my laptop.
All is fine with the jump drive.
All is not fine when I opened up the folder on the desk top computer and the folder is void of pictures and food blogs. WHAT? I NEED those! I thought I was being so smart. I burned the 2007 pictures to a cd. Why oh why didn't I do it for the 2008/2009 pictures? Well, because! They were all RIGHT THERE on the desk top computer. (I think I just shed a little tear)
All is not lost. I use Norton Back-Up. Which if your not familiar with said Norton Back-Up, at certain times of the day it snoops through your computer and grabs all your stuff and hides it online in case you ever need it again. WeEE!
Norton does a very very bad job of doing it's job.
After 3 hours of trying to FIND my files, they can finally be downloaded. When their site doesn't go down. Which happened to be 16 times on the first day. I kid you not. And then it just sits there. And sits there. 0% complete. 0% complete.
Two times that week, my hubby had to have a Norton representitive remotely connect to my computer to sort out this mess.
Which is very freaky by the way. You're just sitting there minding your own business, while someone a million miles away is controlling your mouse pointer, and running all over the screen opening up files, closing files, clicking on this and that. Yipes! I felt so violated.
When I did get some of my files back, Norton put them wherever it darn well felt like it, and renamed half of them too. I have spent two weeks going through things I didn't want downloaded, and peeking into absolutely everything, to put it back where its supposed to go.
I never did get ALL the stuff back I wanted. It was just too complicated.
I shall never..and I mean NEVER use Norton Back Up again.
The scary thing is, it's time to reinstall windows on the desk top computer too.
I'm buying the biggest jump drive they have on the market.

No comments: