Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Exploring The Oregon Coast

Since I haven't blogged in quite some time, I thought I would start out my new year (a little late) writing about the Oregon Coast. If you haven't been, are thinking about going, feel like someday you might like to visit, don't know where to go...I'm going to show you a few places. Hang onto your seats, and let's explore.
My husband and I were fortunate enough to get away from it all this weekend, and head for the beach. We always stay in Yachats (pronounced Ya-Hots) which is 26 miles north of Florence. It's a tiny little town, but quite the charmer. I love it there. There are 3 motels within a stones throw of each other and all have rooms with ocean views. (There are of course many more, but these three have always caught my eye) We always stay at The Fireside, because its's cheaper than The Adobe and The Overleaf Lodge. It's an older motel, but it's cozy, and some of the rooms come with a fireplace. How romantic is that? They have also recently become pet friendly, which is a big plus for alot of you pet owners out there. And you can't beat the view!
~~View from The Fireside Motel~~

This trip we decided that we would head north from Yachats and check out some state parks up to Newport.
Our first stop was Beachside. Family friendly, easy to get to the beach from the parking lot, but not alot to see here. A great spot for families and those with pets, as it is flat sandy beach for quite a ways. I was looking for more adventure, so it wasn't that thrilling for me.
~~Beachside Park~~

Second stop; Driftwood Beach. We didn't even get out of the car here, because it looked exactly like Beachside. Wide flat sandy beaches. Great for kids and pets, but not much to do.
Third stop we pulled off the side of the road to gaze at Seal Rock. Wow! Now that's what I'm talking about. This one was worth getting out of the car for. They have nice trails to walk on, and some trail decks to take in the view from the top. For those of us feeling a bit more adventurous, you can take a trail to the bottom and explore the tidal pools and feel tiny next to these monsterous rocks. Warning. The trail down is STEEP, and there are no handrails. Not good for the little ones, or those afraid of heights. I am afraid of heights. I almost cried going down, and clung to my husbands arm waiting for sweet death to take me. The trip back up almost made my lungs explode, so I didn't really have time to worrry about dying at that point. (Damn my smoker lungs)
~~looking from Highway 101~~


~~This rock is huge..can you see my hubby?~~

~~more Seal Rock~~

~~more Seal Rock~~


Off to Newport. Walked around Old Towne for a bit, but I'm not really one of those shopper kind of people, so this didn't thrill me much. You can get fresh seafood right off the boats if you like, and there are restaurants galore. The kids might be interested in The Undersea Gardens , Ripley's Believe It Or Not, The Wax Works Living Museum, or just watching the Stellar Sea Lions that are lounging underneath the docks waiting for someone to drop a morsel. (I commented to my husband that all the racket they were making sounded like dinnertime at our house...hee hee)
It was getting late by this time, and I really wanted to go to Agate Beach before we had to head back to the motel. There are no signs marking Agate Beach if your headed north, so we missed it by miles. There was however a sign pointing out Otter Crest so that was our new destination. I didn't see any otters, but that could be because it's a sheer cliff 500 feet above the ocean. I did not take any pictures here, because I only made it about 10 feet onto the viewing area and thought I was going to throw up. I reiterate my fear of heights here. Hubby took a few photo's and I begged to leave. ack! This place is also probably more commonly known as Cape Foulweather. Apparently it is not a rare occurance for the winds to hit 100mph here. Glad the sun was out today.





We saw the sign for Agate Beach on our way back, but the fog was coming in, and it would be dark before we got back to the motel anyways. (and my tummy was still in knots) It was a beautiful day, we took lots of photos and I was ready to plop in a chair and drink some beer. Sunday was more typical of coastal weather here...20 mile an hour winds, rain and fog. I feel really lucky that we were able to get in a great day Saturday.
I'll be writing about the coast again and sharing some pictures going from Yachats South to Florence next time. Don't forget to tune in!

No comments: