Thursday, December 11, 2008

Winter Snow...

Today was spent getting the outside of the house ready for winter. Geraniums trimmed and in the shed, hoses disconnected, leaves raked up, yada yada yada. Supposedly this weekend we are having our first snow storm of the season. It's to rival the storm of 2003, which must of been a doozie, because I don't remember it at all. But then again, being at 700 feet above sea level here in the Willamette Valley, one snowflake is enough to turn the town upside down. Last winter we had maybe a 1/4" of snow on the ground one morning. The radio stations were jammed with phone calls about school/work closures. Good grief! I think one more snowflake fell, and it was all over the news..no school, and if you don't have to go anywhere, don't! I guess those monstrous school buses aren't equipped for such rough terrain. Nor are humans prepared to walk through something that doesn't even reach the top of their shoes. This went on for 3 days. If you call that a horrible storm, I can't wait to see what this weekend looks like. Maybe an inch of snow? *gasp* How will we ever get through it? As Bill Engvall so elequently put it; "Hoard food, steal gas! enough snow is coming your way to make....a footprint!" Okay, that wasn't exactly how it goes, but it's close. And true.
On the other hand, the high's this weekend are not supposed to rise above freezing, so I'm not looking forward to that. At least I don't have to drive.
Monday? Well, I'm hoping for a warming trend, that doesn't seem to be heading this way. I have a 4-wheel drive, and am a very careful driver when the roads are a sheet of ice, it's the other guys I worry about. Especially the ones on cell phones. I go 20 mph., Mr. Cellphone is going 45, talking on his phone, ruffling around on the seat next to him, slides through a light and nearly side swipes me, as I'm backing up as fast as the weather will allow. Can't wait for that again. Ah, the joys of winter. Let is snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!

No comments: