Saturday, September 20, 2008

Wildfire Update

If you've been keeping up with me here, my last post was about the Royce Butte Wildfire that erupted on September 16, near Crescent Lake Junction. It's ferocity forced the evacuation of over 100 homes and businesses, and is about 12 miles from property that my family owns.
I'm happy to report that it is now 80% contained according to the Northwest Interagency Coordination Center. I originally heard that the fire had burned 600 acres, but according to this website it is 381. With a crew of almost 400 people, they expect that it will be contained sometime today. Whew. Still don't know much about where the fire headed, so do we have a cabin still? That remains to be seen. (I never heard that it jumped the Cresent Cut Off Road, so I'm crossing my fingers.)
I contacted Mark Bolton who owns the Odell Sportsman Center after seeing pictures that he took of the fire to ask permission to post them here. (originally posted over at KVAL.com)
He kindly agreed. Thank you Mr. Bolton.
I can't even imagine what was going through his head while the fire is charging at the sky right across the street from his market. I remember when he lost his store back in 2005 due to an electrical fire, while he and his wife were on vacation for the first time in eons. Thank goodness they were not so unfortunate this time.
(We should be up in October Mr. Bolton...stock up on the ice and beer!)
As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, so without further ado: The Royce Butte Fire in all her glory.







No comments: