Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Today Was A Great Day!

Spectacular even. I have been nail biting worried about my eldest sons
job being cut with a company merger that has been in the works for
months now.He found out today that his employment is secure, even if he doesn't
continue in the department he is in now. WHEW. (others were not so
lucky I'm sad to say)
I cannot even begin to express how relieved this makes me feel. It is
so difficult to find programs in our area that cater and train those
with brain injuries. It took much too long (in my sons opinion) to gain
the employment where he is now, and he didn't want to start over in
the program he was in that found him this job. He see's the world much
differently than "normal" people. Things are supposed to happen NOW.
Meetings suck, volunteer work sucks, anything that isn't bringing in
that all mighty paycheck SUCKS.
He has the best work ethic I have ever seen. Always early, never calls
in sick, does what he's supposed to do most of the time. Unfortunately
having a brain injury, he still suffers with memory problems, and has
to be re-directed and helped to focus on a regular basis. Like me,
after I've had too much coffee!
I'm really proud of him. Someday I might be able to blog about "His
Story."
Long story short, because I cannot bring myself to think about it STILL;
Back in 2001 he was coming home on the bus from his first day of
work at Goodwill, (he has some other disabilites) and when he got off
the bus, he bolted across our very busy Main street without regard for
traffic. Pedestrian versus a Camaro going 45 miles an hour.
The car won.
It hit his legs first, then his head went through the windshield.
He was on life support and in a coma for 8 days. Oh crap.
I can't write about it anymore, the memories still hurt so much.
Never the less, he lived, and I love him more than my life.
The end.
And more importantly, the begining.

No comments: