Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Counter Attack!


Sheba looking inncocent---> Sometimes I hate being a cat owner. Days like yesterday make me want to get a sling shot and a cork. Sheba my adorable little monster has taken it upon herself to piss on the kitchen counter AGAIN. Now my husband always blames Petunia because we have never caught either one of them in the act. Sheba is his cat, and she would never do anything like that. MMhmmm. She doesn't pee all over the bathroom rug every time I wash it either, does she? I've caught her!!! ( I also like to bring up the fact when I'm all mad that all three of the cats are his, because I was never asked if I wanted a cat.) I know it's not Mischief our 14 year old male, because it's an olympian effort for him to even jump on the couch. Regardless of these minor facts, it is always me that gets left to clean up these wee messes. (wee..get it?)
Ahem.

I could smell cat pee all afternoon, but couldn't find the source. Not behind (or on) the coffee maker, not behind (or on) the microwave, not all over my spice bottles. Hmmm. Must be my imagination. As I was putting dishes away, I grabbed the thermos to put into it's little leather carry bag, and cat piss dribbles all over my fingers, down my wrist and onto the counter. You have no idea of the EWwWw factor here. And then I get angry. Gawdamn freaking mother bleeping blippity blip son of a beeeeeeeeeeeep! I have a real thing about my kitchen being spotless. I run it like a restaurant, and I want it clean clean clean, and germ free. Nothing grosses me out more than a cat using my counters for the litter box. I cook here for for goodness sake! The next hour is spent with the sopping up of the dribbles, the spraying of "out" (a natural bacterial enzyme made to basically eat pee) the rinsing, bleaching, and repeating. I told you, i'm insane about my kitchen being clean. ugh! For all of you out there that are going to tell me that she needs to be taken to the vet to rule out any problems, I have. I've taken both the girls, and they are fit as fiddles. We have two litter boxes for 3 cats, use the same unscented litter all of the time, and I empty the boxes twice a day. So it must be a behavioral problem. Either that, or she is just a total bitch. I'm going for the latter. I finally found a site last night that perhaps might be my savior. It's called Cat Faeries. Good behavior and good health for the modern housecat. According to the information I found there, cats produce pheromones in three parts of their bodies. The pheromones from their cheeks give the friendly message of "Hi there, I like you, I'm happy." The pheromones that come out with their urine and feces are very different and tell other cats "Hey buddy, this is my territory." So they sell this spray called Feliway that uses the happy pheromones to use where they have been peeing inappropriately. I'm liking the sound of it all ready. There's alot of great information at their site, and if you have a cat I would recommend it even if your not buying anything. I like places that go all natural. They even sell special music for your kitties to listen to while your away at work to keep them calm and happy. And crystals! I've never worked with crystals before, but I just might try one of those too. Diffusers? Well yes, they have those too, it's a kitty paradise. I spoke to the husband about trying out some of these products and got the silent but shouting look of "good gawd, paper towels aren't good enough for you anymore???" If anyone out there in internet land has ever tried any of the products at Cat Faeries, I sure would like to hear from you. They have great testimonials, but you know...they aren't going to publish anything that is less than stupendous.

No comments: